Guest Post: Max Valentine’s Birth Story.

I came across this blog and I am so glad Gretchen decided to share the story of her son’s birth here at Beautiful Beginnings. Even more importantly, I’m glad she hired a professional photographer because she now has some great photos to remember the birth. I’m am highly impressed that you could get your legs up to your ears mid-pushing. But if I remember correctly, you are willing to do just about anything at that point in a natural birth to stop the ring of fire. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Great story! Thanks for sharing! Peace, Melanie and Kelly.



I wrote the first rendition of Max’s birth story when he was just a day old, but I wanted to also share a more specific timeline

of how things happened. Plus, now I have all of my amazing birth photos to match the story! Here’s how things went …

Wednesday, August 8th, 11:41 pm | texted my sister a picture of the headband I was sewing
Thursday, August 9th, 12:30 am | crawled into bed, feeling a little crampy, but nothing major
2:20 am | pretty sure my water broke, why I second guessed this, I’ll never know
2:37 am | pressure waves every 3 minutes and lasting 45 seconds so I texted my midwife
2:46 am | texted our doula and birth photographer
3:01 am | texting with my birth team about my progress, still using emoticons so I must have been feeling ok ๐Ÿ™‚
3:04 am | woke up my mom to come be with Jemma
3:12 am | pressure waves every 2 minutes
3:39 am | Dominic is packing the car, I hop in the shower because I’m super uncomfortable
3:57 am | doula and birth photographer arrived, I was overwhelmed with how intense my contractions were and immediately
told them I didn’t think I could ride anywhere in the car. My doula told me I was in transition and I informed her there was
absolutely no way that was true.ย  Textbook transition ๐Ÿ™‚ I was also heard saying:
“They are coming so fast. I just can’t stay on top of them.” “This is not what I had planned!” “Dominic get me some water.”
And then, “Why is Dominic taking so long?” Apparently, I’m not the nicest laboring mama.
ย 4:21 am | reached down and slightly in maybe a few inches and definitely felt baby’s head, my baby was coming AND FAST
ย 4:34 am | head started crowning
ย 4:36 am | head is born, but not rotating (slight shoulder dystocia)
I move to McRobert’s position (on my back with knees pulled up to my ears)
ย 4:41 am | Max Valentine is born! ย 
Although, we didn’t officially name him until later that evening.
5:19 am | I cut the cord and deliver my placenta a few minutes later
ย After all the birth business is done, Max and I wrap up in towels and blankets and snuggle on the bathroom floor. Our midwife
arrives shortly after and deem us both in perfect health! I still can’t believe Max came so fast that our midwife didn’t even
make it! Thank the Lord for our fabulous doula! I had a little stitching in my lady parts while Max had his newborn assessment.
Our sweet photographer snapped adorable newborn pictures of Mr. Max, our 10 pound, 4 ounce and 20.5 inch long handsome boy …
But most of all, I love this picture of our whole birth team; everyone who helped Max Valentine come earth side.
I’m indebted to these ladies (and my fabulous husband) for life!
My sweet Max,
ย I love you to bits and am so happy we share such a wonderful birth story! It was definitely hard work, but holding you in my
arms that day and every day since has been worth it. Thank you so much for working with me to be born. All my little pep
talks must have paid off ๐Ÿ™‚ I love you to the moon and back and can’t wait to celebrate each August 9th in your honor. What
a special day it is and will always be. The day you came into my life.
Love forever, Mama
laurel - December 18, 2012 - 3:11 am

whoa!!! 10lb baby in less than 2 hours with no midwife! Yay for that mama (and the doula)! That’s a crazy birth story!

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *